Food for the pregnant lady is a very important thing. Consuming good food is safe for you and your child, whereas potentially harmful food could pose a serious threat. It is therefore important to determine what to eat when pregnant after seeing the second line on the pregnancy test.
Pregnant women must eat healthy food as it is vital for a healthy pregnancy. There are several things you should avoid as many different types of food can pose a threat to your child. Below you will find the list of food items that you can eat during pregnancy.
- Fish contains omega-3 fatty acids in huge amounts that must be part of your diet because it helps in the growth of the baby’s brain. You must eat seafood at the time of your pregnancy that comprises shrimp, salmon and sardines. Cook the fish at 145°F before eating it. Cooking helps to destroy many potential seafood infections and toxins that will protect you and your baby from any type of harm.
- Eggs become more irresistible when they remain uncooked or half-cooked. However, they are a big no to consume during pregnancy. The reason behind this is uncooked food contains salmonella which may cause diarrhea and vomiting. Some food items such as desserts are made up of raw eggs such as custards, mousse, etc. which must be avoided.
- Including meat in your diet is very important for those who are nonvegetarian. However, it must be consumed after the meat is fully cooked. Raw meat contains bacteria such as listeria and other parasites as Toxoplasma gondii that may also cause vomiting, fetal damage and miscarriage. Also, it is advised by the doctors to use a thermometer while cooking to maintain the temperature. Wash the meat with salt and water properly to ensure the removal of all bacteria.
- For your child’s proper development, it is extremely important that you consume milk on a daily and regular basis. It provides essential nutrients as for example minerals, calcium, and proteins to you and your baby. But make sure you only eat pasteurized milk. Unpasteurized milk might contain pathogens that cause food poisoning. Hence you should stop consuming all sorts of non-pasteurized dairy products.
- There are papayas, pineapples and grapes in the fruits not to be eaten during pregnancy. In addition, it is being believed that papayas are always on the chart of foods to terminate the pregnancy and can cause miscarriages. It can be dangerous to consume unripe papaya as it has some substances which cause contractions in the uterus and leads to miscarriage.
- Alcohol reaches to baby via the placenta without filtering. This may lead to a condition called Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD), which can cause miscarriage and death of the baby and also a range of physical and intellectual problems throughout his or her life. So, it is better to stay away from alcohol consumption during pregnancy entirely.
So, here’s a brief idea of the food that may cause harm to the foetus if eaten during pregnancy. Until you choose to ignore any of the above foods in your pregnancy diet, it is advisable to consult your doctor. It will assist you to consume a balanced meal by consulting a nutritionist about the best pregnancy diet.
Author Bio: Navya Sharma has been associated with the health industry for a long time. In her leisure, she loves writing articles. Through her articles, you can obtain knowledge on various stem cell preservation, Stem cell banking, cord blood banking.